Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A "Real" Step to Far?

A short time ago Nethaera posted about a major upset to the Official Forums

"The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it."

Right off the bat you can tell this will generate a lot of QQ.

While many complained about Real ID, I've been a fan all along. I love how it lets me keep in touch with friends and Officers across realm and characters. I feel the system needs some tweaks but overall works well and I don't mind letting people know my real name, especially seeing I can choose who I add.

This change however is a step to far. I understand Blizzards desire to tidy and prune the O' Boards and once again make them a place people want to visit, but I don't feel this is the way. I agree with their logic and I am sure that removing the anonymity will force out many of the trolls but It's a bad solution in my opinion. I didn't mind Real ID because I could choose who saw my name, now Blizzard have taken away my choice.
If I ever want to post my opinion on a topic, help out a new player or make a recruitment post for the guild people will see my real name.
I do not want the millions of subscribers on the US forums to know my real name and I don't think they need to know it.

I don't claim to have another solution for this problem and truthfully I don't even have a clue for it but this is a very bad step Blizzard are taking. This is personal information and its being given out by force against our will. It is for this very reason that so many people have disgust for Facebook at the moment and I don't wish to see that happen to Blizzard.

This is a very big topic and I would love to hear what you all think on it, is this going to far? Do you have any ideas on how to stop trolls outside of giving them an identity?

1 comment:

Anolaana said...

Trolls? Stamp their main's name onto it.

I don't like RealID in its current- well, real - iteration. I'd prefer that to be pruned back (as I said before). But this is too far (not that I frequent the place much). Stamping my name to the internets is not something we're all interested in doing, and privacy is something I'd rather keep.